Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Polynesian Traditions

IMHO, some of the most exquisite tattoos come from the intricate designs of polynesia and this ranks as one of my fav pic as it symbolises one of the oldest traditions of indigenous people.

JJ's beautiful tattoo is a mixture of tahitian and hawaiian design and took over three hours to complete. The Maori facial tattoo and Samoan chief tattoos are also equally impressive. The process of getting one done in the traditional manner can also be excruciatingly painful. For the pain fearing faint of heart who still enjoys body art, Henna is another option you may consider.

17 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

You always leave great information... and pictures. Thanks. -Ryan

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 7:30:00 PM HST  
Blogger Jude said...

The traditional patterns are certainly more beautiful than the more common modern tattoos. I love this photo.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 8:23:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

Thanks Ryan :P
Aggie - I have to agree on that =)
Louise - that is correct - you must be from Aotearoa ;)
If you have a chance, I'd love to see a photo of Maori facial tattoo - that would be so kewl.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 11:13:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kris said...

cool design at the shoulder! i've no guts for the painful process ..

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 11:57:00 PM HST  
Blogger BarelyLiegl said...

Great picture, and not just a beautiful tattoo... (Say hi to JJ!) =)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 12:17:00 AM HST  
Blogger Cynthia Quiros said...

beautiful tatoos!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 3:25:00 AM HST  
Blogger Carrie Nichols said...

I agree those tattoos are much nicer than some of the modern ones.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 5:58:00 AM HST  
Blogger Nicola said...

Looks cool! I guess if I would have myself a tatoo made I would go for henna.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 6:24:00 AM HST  
Blogger Mark said...

Real beautiful tatoo, and it means something which makes it even more special.The more I see of your beatiful country and learn of it's traditions the more I want to come and visit.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 7:23:00 AM HST  
Blogger E.I. said...

Nice blog!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 7:58:00 AM HST  
Blogger Felicia said...

I agree with Moonsoleil! ;)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 9:22:00 AM HST  
Blogger Sam said...

I've seen worse....

LOL

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 9:29:00 AM HST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with moonsoleil too!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 10:01:00 AM HST  
Blogger indieperfumes said...

I agree the traditional patterns are more flattering, especially on tanned skin...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 11:05:00 AM HST  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love it! I do wonder if:
A)You personally know this person
B)He knows we are all admiring him (oh, I mean his tattoos) on your blog?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 12:20:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

hi sarah - thanks for asking - JJ was really kewl about it - so far, knock on wood, peoples been pretty kewl - my friends are the most awkward to ask for myself, so I don't do it much unless there is a compelling reason. I really wanted to show this particular pic because for polynesians, and I am sure probably with other indigenous groups, the Tattoo is not merely a body art but symbolizes power, status, family roots and ties and lineage to the islands... a sense of pride - ha'aheo and connection to the mother earth.
I don't know if people noticed - I posted a pic back in may with four people in it and although they were totally kewl with the pic being posted, the shadow and lighting on one of the faces distorted the look and thus I decided it did not do the people justice and removed it.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 2:52:00 PM HST  
Blogger Deetsa said...

JJ's body art is beautiful! But then so is JJ ;-)
I've seen a lot of the younger Heiltsuk people getting native design tattoos although they are not, as far as I know, done in any traditional style of tattooing. The designs, however, are images such as one would see on a "big house", dancing blankets, masks, bowls, etc... I'd been debating whether to ask for pictures of such tattoos for my site. Maybe I'll be bolder now.

You can see one on my flickr page here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deetsa/165468712/
It has a native West Coast design which also incorporates the basketball design. The bearer is on the women's team.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 8:11:00 PM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home