Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Oh Snap!

IMG_0902800

The largest North West surf to hit the islands this winter and it was definitely not a day for amateurs. With waves reaching heights of 15 to 18 feet, one mistake proves costly.

Fortunately, the surfing accident victim above survived a collision with a surfer, was assisted out of the water and immediately tended to by arguably, the bravest lifeguards in the world... North Shores finest.

In the coming days, I will post some images of those beautiful but crushing and punishing waves.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful photograph. At first I thought it was a kind of test or for practice until I read the post and then realized it was for real.

I just can't imagine me ever doing this kind of thing, surfing, but then when I was on your most famous beach in October 1953 and in March 1955, I never saw anybody on a surf board.

They sold them or rented them in a kind of shack behind the beach on the main drag at the sidewalk.

In fact I never saw more than 6 or 8 people on the beach either time I was there.

I don't think that was the beach to surf from anyway. And times have changed a lot as what I saw in no longer there by now I am sure of that.

You take such beautiful photographs, Kala. I hope you get them published or let the tourist groups use them for a fee or something. Lots of people need to know about you and your photography.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 at 11:35:00 PM HST  
Blogger Jilly said...

Like Abraham, when I saw this in the portal I didn't realise it was a real accident. Just thought it was a photograph and one, so beautifully lined up.

What a shot - it's absolutely marvellous - perfect - but sad to read it's for real.

Well done. I'll echo Abraham, your photography is superb. I'll look forward to the waves.

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 1:37:00 AM HST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great capture! Hawaian waves are not for amateurs... Looking forward to see the next posts.

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 4:46:00 AM HST  
Blogger Dina said...

Poor guy..I've been watching the Triplecrown live and I see the waves getting bigger by the minutes...free surf has big waves and PLENTY people...not a good combo!

Friday, November 14, 2008 at 6:52:00 AM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home