Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Sunday, October 15, 2006

7:09 AM...

...that was the time the bedroom started to shake like a match box, awakening into a surrealistic dream - the source - a 6.6 earthquake originating some ~150 miles away, underwater and offshore of the west coast of Kailua-Kona, Big Island.IMG_28441500The image above was taken about 9 PM and shows some buildings still without electricity in Waikiki during the island wide blackout.

Below was a picture I took/posted on Sept. 02, 2006.

This was my first personal encounter with a ground shaker, and hopefully my last.

My T-Mobile cellphone failed completely while someone elses Cingular continued to work. Fortunately, the electricity came back on at 3 PM for some of us including myself and this island, O'ahu, suffered very little infrastructure damage being a distance from the epicenter.
When I finally got to watch CNN's coverage of the earthquake at 10 PM, I could not help but be amused at the dramatic and sensational coverage of the event. This quake caused some minor structural damage but nothing significant to result in direct lost of life. We are definitely grateful and fortunate of the outcome given the potential of mother natures wrath. =)

18 Comments:

Blogger TheMangia7uno said...

Hahahahhahah Wonderful Photos !!!

Andrea from Italy.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 2:44:00 AM HST  
Blogger Jazzy said...

hope you're all getting back to normal after the earthquake, it’s good there was no substantial damage and hope it doesn’t happen again.

have a good week.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 2:59:00 AM HST  
Blogger Shorty said...

I'm glad to see our Hawaii DPer's are okay. I was watching the news about two hours ago when I heard Hawaii—I immediately thought of you and Dana.

Great photos, it really shows the effect to see a pre-quake and post-quake photo.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 3:34:00 AM HST  
Blogger Kate said...

Kala, Glad for your comments about the dramatic coverage. Too bad because it consequently masks the real tragedies because we shrug off the media normally. Glad that it was not a major tragedy in your area.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 5:26:00 AM HST  
Blogger Lisi said...

Hi Kala, glad to hear that things are mostly OK...and good idea of posting those photos :-)

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 6:02:00 AM HST  
Blogger Annie said...

I had to come see if you could post. That alone tells me you are doing okay. But seeing the before and after skyline at night - that is a great demonstration. Thanks.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 8:05:00 AM HST  
Blogger Michael Salone said...

I meant to come here yesterday to see if you were online. Yes, the coverage here in Paris was typical CNN, but just the same, glad you are ok.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 8:39:00 AM HST  
Blogger Eric said...

Just saw the news, sounded like a big thing on French TV but according to your caption it does not seem to be that bad.

At least it was the occasion to take agood pic!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 8:43:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"ouf" as we say over here! I'm relieved to see it's all ok! ;) Beautiful night shots (my fav')!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 8:45:00 AM HST  
Blogger Natalie said...

Here in CA, everyone has some kind of earthquake story. When I was a kid there was always talk of THE BIG ONE. So big that CA could fall into the ocean. =)
Glad everyone is ok.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 9:06:00 AM HST  
Blogger Shelly said...

That barely credible media loves a tragedy! Or loves to make tragedy even when there are real horrors in this world that are not reported! Anyway, off my soap box…I am so glad you guys are ok and that it was not as bad as originally reported!!! Also, FANTASTIC SHOTS!!! 

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 9:23:00 AM HST  
Blogger Felicia said...

Not even a book fell off the shelf? Glad to know that Honolulu is okay - 6.6 is no small quake!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 10:40:00 AM HST  
Blogger Ame said...

Nice pic Nic! Hey, LOL! ;-)

And now you can say you've officially joined the "movers & shakers" club...and I don't mean the good-time-friday-nite kind either! My first time happened when I was only 9...down in So Cal (the Silmar quake, think it was 6.5?)...anyway, it literally rolled me outta bed! And I've been freaked out ever since! When we had our big 7.1 in '89 my hubby was stuck at Candlestick Park watching the Giants & A's in the World Series...it took him 5 hours to make the trek back home....UGH!

Glad you're all AOK!
=)

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 1:17:00 PM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your ok! Awesome photos! I used to live in California and was there for several big ones! There not much fun!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 2:38:00 PM HST  
Blogger Wendi said...

Kala-
Heard about the quakes on the news tonight... glad to see you are okay!
Wendi

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 3:15:00 PM HST  
Blogger Ryan said...

I love this shot showing some of the effects of the earthquake. I'm glad you are alright.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 7:04:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kris said...

oh, i didnt know and I've been watching CNN. Anyway, glad to hear you are fine :)

CNN and other media tend to sensationalise news..Gheez!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 10:18:00 PM HST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mahalo!

I'm glad your electricity came on around 3pm --- ours didn't come on until about 11pm that night --- a welcome relief when you are on the Penthouse floor (about floor 44 if I recall correctly).

Once again, mahalo!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 at 1:09:00 AM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home