Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

May Day is Lei Day

This post is dedicated to [ Ice_Molly of Hayle DP ], a "transplanted" hawaiian now residing in Hayle. Last year, I focused on the [ lei making process ] and posted some pictures of my Auntie making a Haku lei. This year, I wanted to focus on the music and pageantry of this May Day event.
May 1st is May Day, also known as Lei day. May Day celebrates not just the sharing of Lei's, it symbolizes the spirit of Aloha that resounds through the na'au of the islands native people, the Kanaka Maoli and Kama'aina.

Some of the performers included the Makaha Sons (as seen above minus camera man), Kapena, Cazimeros (evening show).

When I was a kid, I never quite appreciated May Day because we (class) had to sit still for looooong periods of time in this very park under the sun all morning. I think I enjoy it alot more now, having the freedom to roam and enjoy all the events.

The gentleman with the camera in the above image went on the stage and started photographing the crowd as well as John and Jerome Koko and Moon Kauakahi. He's got the best shots in the house!!!

For your viewing pleasure ;)
[ More May Day pictures here ~52 ]
[ Video of Makaha Sons and hula 'auana here ]
[ History of Hawai'is Lei Day ]

Live Aloha!

P.S. I normally post the previous days image the next day, so its now 12:30 AM, May 2nd as I write this for May 1st images =)

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is so much of interest in this photo. The Makaha Sons look so nice, the flowers!, the vertical lines of the screen and the landscape showing through, and that camera man! He adds great comedy to the scene! :)

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 2:53:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like a fun time! Wish I was there.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 4:40:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A nice photograph. I like it and the narrative.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 9:11:00 AM HST  
Blogger ICE_Molly said...

Mahalo Kala for such a lovely dedication! We very much enjoy visiting your blog and all the beauty of Hawai'i!

I used to love May Day...lol... mostly 'cause I got to be on the court most years! But also, I loved the way we showed much appreciation to other international cultures during the programs.

One thing I also miss is Aloha Week and the Ho'olauleia's!!!

E Malama Pono!!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 9:24:00 AM HST  
Blogger photowannabe said...

Great shot. Think that guy has a lot of nerve being up there with the performers.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 5:21:00 PM HST  
Blogger stinkypaw said...

Great shots you took at the May Day Fair. The colours! Who's the woman that you seem to "enjoy" as a subject? She's gorgeous.

My favourites are the haku leis - beautiful and so fragrant - especially the pikake ones!

Mahalo!

Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 8:23:00 AM HST  
Blogger Monica said...

The man on the stage looks so funny! A tourist, I assume. He doesn't seem to care one bit that he is now part of the show!

Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 3:49:00 PM HST  
Blogger Oya said...

Seems you had a nuch more pleasent day than me in Istanbul...Too much trouble we had:(

Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 9:18:00 PM HST  
Blogger Felicia said...

Kala, I remember your photos of your auntie's lei making, so kewl! It is good that some traditions get passed on to the next generations.

Friday, May 4, 2007 at 7:25:00 AM HST  
Blogger Jilly said...

Love this photo. Just feel we are there, enjoying the music. Just saw your photo of the coloured chairs for Theme Day. Super photo too. Aloha!

Friday, May 4, 2007 at 7:44:00 AM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home