Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Monday, April 30, 2007

Mauka and Windward Showers

In New England, "Cowbark" says it can be just a matter of 15 minutes for the weather to change
In Grenoble, you get to see a photo from the driver's view
In Saarbruecken, Moonsoleil shows you the roads of her town
In Brookeville, Abraham Lincoln takes you for a rainy ride
and here, above, are five shot sequences I took while driving along the H-3 Freeway. You get to see a view of the roads from a drivers perspective as it goes from sunny to rainy back to sunny in a matter of minutes as I drive THROUGH the mountain. I'll post a video for you to see in a bit. - OK< scratch that - no video for now coz it did not focus well - will make another one when I go back next weekend =P

One of the most common weather forecasts on this island is "mauka and windward showers." Mauka means towards the mountain, and as you drive along the H-3 you sometimes get rain heading towards the Koo'olau mountains, as I am driving here, and it all seems to disappear when you drive away.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kala, very impressive! Thanks for taking us on a ride!

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 9:04:00 PM HST  
Blogger Dsole said...

wow! that's really cool!
And you take your surf table in the top of the car?

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 11:05:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

that was actually my canoe's nose sticking out - I was heading out for a paddle =D

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 11:20:00 PM HST  
Blogger angela said...

Interesting sequence. The weather on the coast looks much more tempting than the mountains.
I'm never quite at ease driving through these long tunnels...
Angela

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 12:52:00 AM HST  
Blogger Kate said...

I think I prefer sunny weather. Interesting theme, Kala; now THIS sequence would make an interesting collage, too!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 1:34:00 AM HST  
Blogger Mandi said...

Love these rain scenes! Great photos.

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 1:45:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great sequence!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 2:27:00 AM HST  
Blogger Simply Jen said...

I absolutely love driving down H-3 towards the coast. This sequence captures it really well.

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 11:20:00 AM HST  
Blogger ICE_Molly said...

MMM, there you go again, making me all nostalgic for the 'aina! I've always loved that, going from town to Kailua... the same thing happens when you go through the Pali... raining one side and sunny the other!

Mahalos, for the comments Kala! I would be ever so grateful of any suggestions you might have to make my blog more effective. Email me and advise!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 12:09:00 PM HST  
Blogger Monica said...

Crazy weather, great view from the car! Funny that we can see your canoe. I guess that's so hawaian!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 2:46:00 PM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really ! I found it out only after reading Monica`s comment.
But I was so concentrated on landscapes, I can not get enough about them! Fine photographs and I went through every link:))

Have a happy, enjoyable May!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:43:00 PM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home