Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Rain Forrest


When I look as this photo I remember being perplexed by this question as a kid:

What is the difference between a tropical rain forest and a jungle?

I also remember coming to this conclusion: Jungles have monkeys and tigers, while rain forests have tree frogs and sloths. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same, well except that jungles are much more dangerous (on account of the tigers).

The embarrassing thing is … that until now, I’ve stuck with this conclusion. I guess that’s why I didn’t turn not to be a biologist. ;-)

Is there a biologist in the house?

This photo was taken at the Wahiawa Botanical Garden in central Oahu. The long stretching “vines” are Banyan tree roots.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there is a difference in the species of trees and plants (they're not the same in jungles and in tropical rain forests). I read something about that in an article from wikipedia... But you're ricght it's safer without tigers! ;-) I love the receding lines... makes the image really graphic. It's a shame there are no monkeys because i can almost hear them!!! ;-)

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 9:37:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

This is kewllll - I'm waiting for Tarzan to swing pass - and a nice diversion from all the previous posts - I don't think I;ve posted a forest photo yet.

I'm thinking about going to Maunawili to the falls.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 11:34:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

You know what I just realized - Smeagol is missing! You remember Smeagol, don't you?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 11:38:00 PM HST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like a peaceful forest. Nice shot Dana! Kala, of course I remember Smeagol :))

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 11:54:00 PM HST  
Blogger Jazzy said...

Very nice entry, I like the photo, very different from what we have here.
Smeagol is hiding =)

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 1:13:00 AM HST  
Blogger indieperfumes said...

I can just imagine the scents going on in this place...beautiful photo once again...

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 1:35:00 AM HST  
Blogger Felicia said...

I love the hanging vines and can imagine a little monkey swinging around in there. Smeagol creeps me out!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 7:15:00 AM HST  
Blogger Nicola said...

Somehow refreshing photo! Now that you mentioned it, I'm not sure about the difference either...

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 7:44:00 AM HST  
Blogger Carrie Nichols said...

Another great picture! The hanging vines remind me of Tarzan!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 4:54:00 PM HST  
Blogger edwin s said...

this is yet another one of your stunning captures! the dangling lianas look as if they're anchoring the tree from flying away. well, that's what I get from this wonderful perspective.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 at 12:40:00 AM HST  
Blogger PDPB said...

extremely exotic trees - only seen them on tv.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 7:38:00 AM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home