Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Coconuts

I’m taking a break from the scenic landscapes to give you a peak at Hawaii culture.

This man is preparing coconut's to sell as drinks by cutting down the outside husk and cutting off the top. When he cuts off the top he cuts through the actual coconut inside. If you take a close look in the bottom left corner, you'll see an example. It's the only coconut that has a straw sticking out of it.

The man's knife was really sharp, and he was really fast. I wasn't timing him, but I think that he could finish one in less than 30 seconds.

This picture was taken at a swap meet (flea market) in Pearl City/Aiea that caters primarily to locals.

15 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

let me recall the taste of coconut juice..it's been too long!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 9:44:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

I actually took a pic of Adri drinking the juice out of a coconut from a straw when we were out by Kahalu'u but I don't think I will post that - I've seen samoans doing this in less than 10 seconds! Crazy fast - if you blink, its over!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 9:50:00 PM HST  
Blogger Merili said...

Yummy... :)

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 9:57:00 PM HST  
Blogger Unknown said...

The coconut water is very fresh and healthy. Ah, make me thirsty.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 10:13:00 PM HST  
Blogger BarelyLiegl said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this picture away from the beautiful beaches. I love how you always can tell about your culture, and open our eyes to new perspectives.
Do you also eat the coconut flesh (that's what I love most about them) ? Or do you just drink the water out of it?

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 10:53:00 PM HST  
Blogger Nicola said...

Ahh, fresh coconut juice! Love it!!!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 10:57:00 PM HST  
Blogger Emmanuelle said...

Flash is really amazing!
Thanks for offering me your help, but I don't make really difficult things yet, just still studying, but thanks anyway

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 11:45:00 PM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! That's a very good idea! I want to know all of Hawaii culture!!! ;-) Crazy!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 12:18:00 AM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

Hi Moonsoleil - as far as I've seen and know, they only drink the coconut juice for this one that is being prepared at the flea market - Although for some other purposes, the husk and coconut meat is saved and the juice discarded - did that make sense at all? hmm

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 12:35:00 AM HST  
Blogger Unknown said...

very cool to see.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 3:50:00 AM HST  
Blogger Deetsa said...

Oh... I want to go to the chinese market in a week so much now! I'm dying to have some fresh cocowater. I'm sure it's not the same as right on site though. I'd love to have the chance.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 5:06:00 AM HST  
Blogger Edwin Sumun said...

there's nothing quite as refreshing as the juice of a coconut. I'm sorry you're missing it Kris!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 5:26:00 AM HST  
Blogger Mark said...

Fantastic snap, love this type of shot you really get the local flavour. More please:)
PS Thnaks for the help.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 at 6:48:00 AM HST  
Blogger Kate said...

I saw this swift procedure on Molokai and was impressed. There I also saw some amusing "characters" made from the coconuts.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 at 12:37:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god...talk about awakening old memories...I remember going to that flea market when I was a kid!!! it was near a stadium of some sort if my memory serves...

thanks for the reminder..

Thursday, June 29, 2006 at 9:14:00 AM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home