Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Visiting a Neighbor Island

Photo taken on the island of Moku Nui looking at Moku Iki.

This pair of islands is commonly referred to as "The Mokes," but their official name is the Mokulua Islands. You can see them in Kala's panoramic photo from yesterday (look at about 1o o'clock).

About 3/4 of a mile off Lanikai Beach in Kailua the northern island of Moku Nui is a popular kayaking destination. The trip to the island took us (novice kayakers) about 45 minutes (but I'm sure Kala (expert kayaker) could do it in less than 30). Moku Nui is about 1000 feet (305 meters) long & 800 feet (244 meters) wide.

The island is a State Seabird Sanctuary and right now the Wedge-tailed Shearwater is nesting. This means visitor have to stay on the beach and away from the birds, which are surprisingly not very afraid of humans.

P.S. I used my old HP Photosmart 318 to take this photo ... because I was afraid I would drop my Canon in the water ... you know being a novice kayaker and all. :-)

21 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

is there other way to get to the island..er, kayaking there might take me forever

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 1:52:00 AM HST  
Blogger Kate said...

My first reaction is that it almost looks like snow. Interesting!!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 3:36:00 AM HST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Based on your photos, Hawaii is really a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 3:54:00 AM HST  
Blogger Jazzy said...

I like this post very much especially after seeing extra pictures of the island.
It’s probably great to have a swim in this beautiful blue water. Great Sunday photo, very relaxing.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 7:51:00 AM HST  
Blogger Emmanuelle said...

Great shot!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 8:33:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks like heaven! Don't worry Dana, the shot is great!!! ;-)

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 9:10:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this shot, I would have looked to tone done the lighting on the side though :)

Cool cool snap.

Suby

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 9:59:00 AM HST  
Blogger Chris said...

Beautiful. I'd like to be a bird sometimes...

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 10:00:00 AM HST  
Blogger Carlos Lorenzo said...

Hey watch out for that Canon beauty. Your HP did a great work though. I much enjoy your idyllic pictures. You show us a bit of paradise everyday, and we all we can do is sigh. Excellent images!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 11:55:00 AM HST  
Blogger Helen said...

Beautiful! Nice photo! I can't wait to visit Hawaii!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 1:27:00 PM HST  
Blogger Michelle B said...

Nice shot! I'd be the same way about my camera. The one time I went kayaking in Catalina, I took a disposable waterproof camera. I didn't take many photos though.

I'm off to check out the rest of the photos of your trip!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 2:33:00 PM HST  
Blogger Nicola said...

Wow, that's wonderful! Looks like a rough island!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 3:05:00 PM HST  
Blogger Eric said...

I'm loving your photos! But I just finished the first season of "Lost" (we're a little behind over here), I'm not sure. ;-)

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 6:28:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

Thanks for the kind words and compliment, but since I go out to that island almost every weekend, i have a slight advantage =P Its great that you added so much detail - i did not know all those things about the size of the island.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 7:20:00 PM HST  
Blogger edwin s said...

stunning, stunning, stunning! so, where's the plane wreck, eh?

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 10:20:00 PM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is just the place I need sometimes... just so far away :(

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 12:14:00 AM HST  
Blogger Felicia said...

I love the white sand. Would love to see a pic of the Wedge-tailed Shearwater.

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 8:57:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful sky...what a lovley beach:-)))

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 9:09:00 AM HST  
Blogger Carol said...

So tranquil. What Canon camera do you use?

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 at 1:54:00 AM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

so i actually timed myself going to the moks which I never did before and measured the distance - its about 2.5 miles from Kailua Beach and takes about 16 minutes with my racing kayak. The place was too crowded today to really enjoy the island - kinda sucks

Saturday, July 22, 2006 at 10:21:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

the type of kayak makes a HUGE difference =)

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 1:11:00 PM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home