Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Happiness Bell

Adri and I were on the east side of the island when we stopped by the Valley of the Temples - a christian and buddhist cemetary that is home to a handful of temples. The bell above is part of the Byodo-In Temple - a replica of a 900 year old Byodo-In temple in Uji, Japan. According to the plaque, by ringing the bell, happiness can be attained.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

interesting to see this in Honolulu! did Adri make a wish?

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 1:44:00 AM HST  
Blogger Nicola said...

Can anyone go there and ring the bell or does it have to be part of a ceremony?

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 2:00:00 AM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

Santy - surrrrr ;)

Kris - She sure did =)


Nicola - Anybody can ring it - It was kewl to pull the wood back and let it rock into the bell.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 2:20:00 AM HST  
Blogger zdenka pregelj said...

Impressive, beautiful colors.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 4:09:00 AM HST  
Blogger Mark said...

Would I like to bash that bell, you bet!!

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 4:49:00 AM HST  
Blogger Michelle B said...

Cool! I saw a similar bell in Geneva, Switzerland near the United Nations. I wonder how many bells like this there are in places around the world.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 1:08:00 PM HST  
Blogger Sarah said...

Several years ago, I rang that very same bell, and the next day got engaged. It *can* bring happiness!

(true story, really!)

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 4:11:00 PM HST  
Blogger Deetsa said...

It's beautiful. I love Japanese shrines like that. Lovely. Maybe I'll ring that bell one day. :)

Sunday, June 4, 2006 at 8:41:00 PM HST  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is really nice. Wish I was there to ring that bell and hear the sound of it. I bet it's lovely to hear.

Monday, June 5, 2006 at 2:52:00 AM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home