Honolulu Daily Photos

A photographic journal of images from O'ahu by Dana, Jamie and Kala! =)

      To get latest updates, subscribe here by entering your Email:

Pictures are all taken during the course of my activities such as paddling, surfing, hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, kayaking, stand-up paddling, rock climbing, archery, skeet shooting, and soon diving - due to my schedule, some postings are done in advanced and posted automatically by blogger on the dates specified. If you have any suggestions, comments, etc for photos you would like me to take, do not hesitate to let me know - enjoy and thanks for stoppin by - Live, Love, Laugh and share the ALOHA!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Downtown Honolulu

Something a little different for you all - I rarely visit downtown Honolulu but I had a board meeting to attend so I decided to take some pics as I was walking through this interesting part of the island. I could probably write a whole book about this area, but I will keep it short for your sake and sanity.

For me, this trip was a real treat because downtown Honolulu has a lot of interesting things happening - its a clash of the old and the new, from the rich to the poor, from the business suits to the shorts and t-shirts, this place is truly rich in history and diversity with a lot of interesting places to visit including the historic buildings, one of the first ones built during the times of the missionaries, to some of the tallest buildings on this island. Chinatown is only a couple of blocks away and well worth a walk by and window browsing. Of course, I have to mention that the Nature Conservancy office is also located here on Nu'uanu street - and yes, I stopped in for a visit to pick up a Ma'oli No DVD. What else can I say, you just have to visit this place for yourself - from Fort Street Mall to Tamarind Park - a popular lunch time hangout for people watching and a little escape from the hussle and bussle of life, there is something for everyone here. This is also the financial center, the wall street of Honolulu and other prominent technology companies, law firms and everything in between! Need I say more? =P

Oh btw, parking is expensive if you park in the structures and the cheaper street meter parking ones are filled up fairly quickly, so I would recommend parking by the I'olani Palace and walking into Downtown - the walk is only about 10 to 15 minutes away and a great way to get some exercise in. =) Don't take my word for it, because you can get lucky if you cross your fingers and toes - I found parking on the street before with some patience. If you're a road rage type, than park by the palace.

This time around, I got parking validation for my visit so I was blessed with free parking! I can't wait for the next meeting! =)

11 Comments:

Blogger Lisi said...

this is exactly as I remember part of the downtown area...it's like you captured a frame from my memory and posted it here...supernatural power of Kala ;p

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 1:42:00 AM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish i had more time to comment on your today's post, it's a bit different from your usual themes and it's great to see Honolulu from completely different side.

kala - thanx for stopping by =)

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 8:02:00 AM HST  
Blogger Kate said...

Typical tourist that I was on my one and only visit to the Islands, I missed this unfortunately. This would have interested me a great deal. Thanks for sharing another aspect of the Island.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 1:05:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kim said...

Nice contrast to your paradise posts ;^). A wonderful urban shot, Kala. As I was waiting for the image to appear, I thought maybe you would be playing a joke on us and that your "board meeting" was going to turn out to be a bunch of surfers. . . :-)
-Kim

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 3:11:00 PM HST  
Blogger Bendi said...

Reminds me of my trip to Honolulu years ago... looks pretty much the same. Nice rich colors.
Wendi

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 3:12:00 PM HST  
Blogger Ame said...

WOW! Awesome narrative Nic...and this was short? LOL! ;-)

And as much as I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the ocean & beach shots, this is really different & interesting! Love just the little bit of hill peeking thru! These older buildings, mixed with the new, really add personality...great shot!

DO MORE LIKE THIS! And yeah, Kim made a good point...can't imagine you at a board meeting...that just might ruin your laid-back, Island guy reputation! ;-)

Was it a productive meeting?

By the way, our tour guide said we should stay away from Chinatown at night...so beware and be careful! Don't want anymore spooky incidents! (=

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 7:55:00 PM HST  
Blogger Kala said...

Chinatown has some drug and prostitution activity at night - I had a friend who .lived near by and was approached a lot for money. Definitely not a pretty place to go - besides, I much prefer the dark remote places to hang out. Or the wet and wild of the ocean in the day =)

Meeting was productive - I finished off 3 sandwiches free of charge!

Thursday, September 7, 2006 at 11:05:00 PM HST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how nice and charming! ;-)

Friday, September 8, 2006 at 12:02:00 AM HST  
Blogger Ame said...

Better make that "MOOCH" Island Boy reputation! I hope you at LEAST left a TIP, LOL! ;-)

Friday, September 8, 2006 at 3:50:00 AM HST  
Blogger stinkypaw said...

Loved the feeling of Chinatown, I really felt like a toursit! Parking in those VERY tight parking spots, in those structure as you say, was... let's just say interesting!! Great shot!

Saturday, September 9, 2006 at 9:11:00 AM HST  
Blogger Felicia said...

Very nice! I like seeing the "other side" of Honolulu. Since I've never been to Hawaii, I would never have pictured this scene there.

Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 12:40:00 PM HST  

Post a Comment

<< Home